photo Slice-1_zps837bbfb3.jpg photo Slice-2_zps04dd7b0c.png photo Slice-3_zpsf5f55031.png photo Slice-4_zps558d5737.png photo Slice-5_zps2d09eb09.png photo Slice-6_zpsfd8e430d.png photo Slice-7_zpseaa781cc.png photo Slice-8_zpsba9d5c2a.png photo Slice-9_zps00a6108b.png

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Stitches

Our son, daughter-in-law and the coolest grandboy in the world, Colby, visited for the weekend a while back.  It is always great when they visit because we enjoy many of the same things such music, the arts, photography, cooking, the beach, and on and on and on. 
 
On this visit Amber wanted to learn to do loom knitting so she could make some baby hats.  We went to the craft store and bought her the looms and about 50 balls of yarn.  Yeah, she is like me – do it in a BIG WAY or don’t do it at all.

Once back home, she immediately started making a baby hat.  Did I tell you we have a grandbaby girl on the way?  YES! YES! YES!  While she was making the hats, I decided I would make some flowers with the small loom.  I needed a crochet hook for some weaving.  Amber didn’t buy a crochet hook but I had two crochet hooks from back in the day when I actually crocheted.   It wasn’t that long ago because I am not that old.  I was probably about 5 back then. I must have been a genius child crocheting so young but hey, it happens.

I dug out the hooks and started weaving.  After I finished with the flower, I was curious to see if I actually remembered how to crochet because it had been so long.  I remembered.  I liked it.  I am totally hooked – pun absolutely intended.



I decided that I too would like to learn to knit but wanted to learn the needles.  I bought a set.  Then another size.  Yet another size and more and more.  It was a “somebody stop me kind of thing.”  Lastly I splurged and purchased the addi turbo. 

The turbo needles were so fast they “got away from me” several times.  After “starting over” about 50 times, I decided I needed a class.  My knitting needles will have to wait until winter.  Winter would be a great time to take a class. 



In the meantime, I have been crocheting like a mad woman.   Some things have been “not so good” but some others have been pretty cool.  Do it in a BIG WAY or don’t do it at all.


This ugly purple scarf is the first thing I finished.  I like the lace type stitches but that is all I like.  Probably needs to go in the trash! 



This pink & white sassy number is the second scarf I completed.  It is made out of a bamboo yarn and is very soft.  It is mostly single crochet.  I think the single crochet is comparable to the basic knit stitch in the knitting world.  I see a lot of single crochet items.   I like this one and may actually wear it.



This BIG colorful crazy dish cloth is a first for me.  The standard knitted dish cloth is only about 6” square.  When I use a dish cloth, I like to know I have a dish cloth in my hands.  Those little, tiny 6-inchers just don’t cut it.  This bad boy is a 10-incher.  When you pick it up, you know you have something in your hands that you can work with – nice and big.



I have a few more projects in the works that I am excited about and can’t wait to share them with you. 

In the mean time when you do something, do it in a BIG WAY or don’t do it at all. 

Until we roll again,
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis