photo Slice-1_zps837bbfb3.jpg photo Slice-2_zps04dd7b0c.png photo Slice-3_zpsf5f55031.png photo Slice-4_zps558d5737.png photo Slice-5_zps2d09eb09.png photo Slice-6_zpsfd8e430d.png photo Slice-7_zpseaa781cc.png photo Slice-8_zpsba9d5c2a.png photo Slice-9_zps00a6108b.png

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Jalapenos on the Half Shell

I wanted to do something with all the jalapeno peppers that are coming out of the garden.  You would be totally amazed at how many jalapenos that one small plant can produce!  It is like there is no stopping it.  AMAZING.



I LOVE jalapeno poppers but I really can’t “deep fry” things.  Nope.  I have never done that.  I grew up in the South and have never fried a piece of chicken in my life.  Frying scares me.  Am I weird or what?  Maybe, but that is okay.  I am afraid to dance with hot oil.  It would totally be a disaster.  There would be fire.  You get the picture so I will leave it at that.

I can’t fry things but I can bake most anything.  So I baked up some “Jalapenos on the Half Shell.”   These turned out to be a beautiful presentation.  You can fill your peppers and serve them or you can use the cheese mixture for a dip for the peppers.  Either way…they are major YUM-YUM-YUM!

The red jalapenos are much hotter than the green ones.  I didn’t know this.  I do now.   I also tried it with a few banana peppers.  They were good but not AS good as the jalapenos.



Here is the recipe – have fun!

Jalapenos on the Half Shell

½ C Mayo “fat on”
2 packs “fat on” cream cheese – 8oz each
¼ C canned green chilies
¼ C finely chopped pickled jalapeno peppers
1 C shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 C Parmesan cheese
Franks Hot Sauce - optional
18 fresh jalapeno peppers

Mix everything but the fresh jalapeno peppers together until creamy – about 1-2 minutes.
Spread into small baking dish.  Top with bread crumbs – optional.
Bake at 400 for 20-30 mins. Depending on depth of baking dish.

While the cheese mixture is baking prepare the jalapenos.
Wash peppers
Wear gloves to prevent the hot oils from penetrating skin
Leaving stems in place cut length wise and clean out seeds.
Steam peppers until soft but still retains shape.  Set aside.

Allow cheese mixture to cool for 15-30 minutes.
Fill each jalapeno boat with filling and place on serving tray.
Re-heat if necessary in still warm oven or do a nuke for 1 or 2 minutes
If you need a little more heat, throw on some Frank’s.  Everything is a little better with Frank’s.
Makes approx.  36 Jalapeno Peppers on the Half Shell

Happy, Happy!
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis